I might be your typical overeager newbee but considering how busy the bees seem on all these warm days, I don’t want to miss the opportunity for them to get a head start building comb on the 9 empty frames of wax foundation that they’ll need to fill up with HONEY once the tulip poplar flow begins. We had a special delivery at the house and I spent the weekend sending good honey flow vibes into the equipment I was putting together and painting. Since my grandpa & grandpa – the same grandpa who sketched his hive in 1975 which now graces the bottom left corner of your browser – sponsored the purchase of these two supers for Christmas (making a total of three for my apiary thus far), I painted one of them blue in their honor since it’s Grandma’s favorite color. And the other one I painted the same color as our front door – SW “Gingery.” It’s not that I’m trying to be all matchy Martha but all my boxes are all painted with leftover paint from the house :) except the one from NCSU.
So yesterday I stuck that new super on there. It should take them 3 or so weeks to build all the comb. I put some 1:1 sugar syrup to stimulate wax production. Godspeed, my little charges!
Special thanks to my beekeeper/photographer assistant.